The Caroline County Seal
The original Caroline County Seal, discovered in the State
Archives in Annapolis, was not strictly a coat of arms, but a
seal used on county legal documents by the Clerk of Court in
Denton from at least 1814 to 1856.
The Caroline County seal and flag or any part thereof
shall only be reproduced by the County Commissioners of
Caroline County, Maryland, or at their express written
consent and direction.
The Seal is oval in shape and features parts of the Calvert
coat of arms assigned to George Calvert of Yorkshire, England,
on November 30, 1622. George's son, Cecil, was granted the
charter to Maryland in June 1632, and the family coat of arms
thus became closely associated with the Province of Maryland.
The belt around the Caroline County Seal is a recent adornment
added by the Annapolis genealogist and heraldic researcher, who
in 1953, at the suggestion of State Senator Louis N. Phipps, Anne
Arundel County, gave Caroline Historical Society the present oval
Seal with an explanation of the meaning of its several parts.
The scroll and motto in Latin means "Land of Pleasant Living",
indicative of Caroline County's welcome to all, as established in
planter's homes and manor houses.
The "Land of Pleasant Living" was developed by the late Arthur
Deute, who adopted Baltimore City in 1935, when he bought the
National Brewing Company. Mr. Deute found Captain John Smith's
description of his exploration of the Chesapeake Bay in 1608
most attractive. Some historians have indicated that Captain
Smith sailed up the great Choptank River as far as Choptank Towne,
the southernmost point in Caroline County, earlier a part of
The meaning of the bars in the shield quoted from the Hall:
"The six vertical pieces (or pales) , into which the Calvert
Shield is divided would represent palings for palisades, and
constitute the heraldic symbol of a stockade or fortification,
which would be appropriate to one who had fortified a town or
successfully stormed a hostile fort. The diagonal band, or bend,
was held to represent either a swordbelt or a sealing ladder."
The crown immediately above the shield is an earl's coronet.
The Lords of Baltimore could use the earl's coronet only in the
relation to their American colony, which according to the charter
had the rank of a county palatine. The rank of county palatine
is equivalent to that of an earl. The full-face position of the
helmet above the earl's coronet indicates the exercise of
government by an absolute ruler over a free state or country.
Above the helmet is a ducal coronet from which rises two spears or
lances with pennons attached. The pennons display the Calvert
colors, gold and black.
The present seal and flag of Caroline County were officially
adopted by the Caroline County Commissioners on July 3, 1984.
The flag was harnessed by Commissioners Charles T. Dean, Sr., and
raised on the East Courthouse Green flagpole by Commissioner
John S. Legates during the Caroline celebration of Maryland's
350th Birth Year. The flag is composed of a county seal
on a medium green background, representing Caroline's heritage and
Courtesy of -
Office of the County Commissioners of Caroline County
Wilbur Levengood, Jr., President
Jefferson L. Ghrist, Vice President
Larry C. Porter, Member
Please address your general comments and questions
about government to:
Courthouse, 109 Market Street
Denton Maryland 21629
Phone: (410) 479-0660
Fax: (410) 479-4060
Copyright © 1999-2013, Caroline County Maryland, All Rights Reserved