Office of Human Resources
The Caroline County Office of Human Resources coordinates the
county-wide human resource functions and creates a central
source of human resources expertise for consistency and
Our focus is on recruiting, developing, and retaining
our most valuable asset - our county employees.
We provide a variety of human resources-related services to
Caroline County departments, agencies, employees, retirees,
and the public. Our programs and services support the
mission and objectives of the county by attracting,
developing, and retaining a skilled and diverse workforce.
Caroline County Code of Ethics ( 1.11 MB)
County Administrator - Ken Decker
- To be the chief administrative officer of the
County and, under the general supervision and
control of the board of County Commissioners, to be
responsible for and handle the day-to-day operations
of the County government.
- To supervise and coordinate the administration of
the functions of the several departments and
administrative agencies of the County and to carry
on the general policies, orders and instructions
of the board of County Commissioners in the
administration of the public local and other laws
applying to the County.
Director of Human Resources - Patricia A. Barton
This Position with limited guidance from the County
Administrator administers and coordinates policies,
programs and operations regarding the management of the
personnel function of County Government, provide leadership
and counsel in connection with personnel issues, ensure
compliance with appropriate governmental and other
regulatory and reporting requirements, ensures fairness of
hiring and employment.
Patricia A. Barton
- Provides guidance and advice to the Board of
County Commissioners and County Administrator with
respect to development and application of human
resources policies and practices.
- Reviews, analyzes, and develops policies and
procedures addressing human resources recruiting,
selection, administration, salary, benefits,
performance evaluation, reward, discipline and
other areas with the County Administrator for
adoption by the County Commissioners.
- Develops and ensures that all human resources
policies, programs, and operations conform to
- Applies federal, state, and County laws,
regulations and guidelines regarding recruitment,
selection, employment, compensation, performance
evaluation and termination and conducts periodic
audits to ensure such conformance throughout
- Assures accuracy of County work to meet challenges
of strategic Plan and other work plan requirements.
- Develops and maintains proactive relations,
recognition and communications program.
- Manages evaluates and recommends necessary
modifications to County’s employee classification,
compensation and benefits programs to ensure a
competitive posture with the labor market.
- Plans, coordinates, supervises and evaluates the
performance of employees assigned to the Human
- Prepares Office of Human Resources annual operating
budget and capital budget. Authorizes budgeted
expenditures and activities of the Human Resources
- Coordinates submission of employee data from
department managers in regards to personnel actions
such as promotions, transfers, probation, and other
- Coordinates the County's recruitment efforts including
writing job advertisements and insures EEO
- Prepares legally mandated personnel-related quarterly
and annual reports;
Personnel and Benefits Coordinator - Sherry A. Bratton
Sherry A. Bratton
- Processes payroll biweekly;
- Monitors departmental personnel records such as
attendance, vacation, holiday and sick leave;
- Coordinates payroll activities including deductions,
withholdings and direct deposits and pay
- Coordinates personnel budget records including
verification and preparation;
- Serves as secretary/assistant to the Personnel
- Answers specific questions from employees regarding
payroll and deductions;Coordinates the various benefits
- Completes pension forms for elected officials and
verifies salary data.
- Verify all payroll taxes quarterly to ADP's
- Provides support to Director with the day-to-day
office operations of Human Resources.